Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Jordan: 11/17/10

Mom, Dad, Jake, Ben, Joshy, Tara, and Danny:
 
How are you? I'm so excited Jake got email! Yay! This will be so much easier! (I'm still going to write you a written letter every week though Jakey Poo, so I expect you to do the same!) Well, this week has been CRAZY. I told you last week that Sis. Dalrymple came up here to be in a threesome with us, which has been interesting. Sister Bennett and I have just been together for so long that it's difficult to make sure Sister Dalrymple feels included. And Sis. Dalrymple loved her old area and doesn't really have any desire to try to love this new area, which is really hard for us because we LOVE this area! Anyway, three's just a rough number. But, here's the crazy part, Sister Bennett just got a call saying she's going down to be companions with a Spanish sister for this next week (starting tomorrow) which means it will just be me and Sis. Dalrymple here with me as the senior companion. I'm a little nervous! I still feel brand new. We'll see how it goes! Transfers are a week from tomorrow (on Thanksgiving Day), so we'll see what happens then.
 
Speaking of Thanksgiving, we got invited to go over to some of my favorite members' houses for dinner: The Wolfleys and Sis. Rasmussen. Sis. Rasmussen's husband is in the military (serving in Iraq) and her children are all at in-laws this holiday, so we're going to go over to her house, and Br. and Sis. Wolfley are going to come over too. I'm going to try to make Peter Schot Pie and bring it! We'll see if it turns out O.K. I'm so grateful we get to spend the holiday with members! I'm really looking forward to it! They're going to split our P-day next week in half, so we have half on Wed. and the other half on Thanksgiving, so we can mostly just hang out with members all day. It will be wonderful!
 
Here are some random thoughts and happenings in the life of Sister Lee this past week:
 
1. Our investigator (Nathan Soli) has a crush on me, and the whole Singles Ward knows about it. It's super funny and super awkward for me. He makes inappropriate comments, and asks me how long I'm going to be in the ward, etc.
 
2. On Saturday, all of our lessons fell through, so we tracted the entire day. It was LONG. By the end, we decided to start singing Disney songs in between houses just to keep ourselves moving. It was funny. We've found it's kind of overwhelming for people when we go tracting in a threesome.
 
3. I reached my 3 month mark and got frozen yogurt! (Today is Sis. Bennett's 17 month mark!)
 
4. My roommate (Hermana Funch), who has become a really good friend, is a convert to the church. She's from California, and the missionaries taught her when she was in high school. She was the first member of her family, and shortly after her mom joined the church. She then went to school at B.Y.U. and decided to serve a mission. Then, this past spring, she found out her dad was getting baptized! She was so excited! This past Sunday, he received the Melchezidek (spelling?) priesthood, and this spring they will be sealed together as a family. How wonderful!
 
5. Since Sis. Bennett is "going Spanish" for a week we decided we needed to do something Spanish--while out tracting we translated (to the best of our abilities, which isn't saying much) "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow" (from Annie) into Spanish and sang it to the Hermanas that night: El sol va a venir, manana...entonces tengo que esperar hasta manana...Good times!
 
6. On Sunday it was Sis. Bennett's departing fireside, so we went with some ward members, including Popo (80 yr. old Chinese lady), who I sat next to. She was getting a little emotional (because she LOVES Sis. Bennett) so I patted her hand. She then proceeded to caress my hand for a while and then look very carefully at my fingers. Then she looked carefully at her fingers and back at mine again. Then she worked off one of her Jade rings and put it on my finger! She is so sweet. It turns my finger totally green, so I don't where it all the time but always put it on when I go to see her. :) I love Popo. Another funny story about her: Yesterday we were visiting her, and she was telling us that she uses Bengay cream for her sore joints. I mentioned that my neck had been kinked for a long time and wondered if Bengay would help. "Oh yes!" she said. "Come here. I be doctor!" I went over and she proceeded to unbutton my shirt and rub Bengay (smells like Icy Hot) on my neck with her little old hands. Sis. Bennett was laughing so hard. It was pretty funny. Actually, it did help a little! :)
 
7. On Sunday afternoon, we went and taught our investigator Nikki. She is doing really well. We taught her about prophets, and it was a really wonderful lesson, with lots of discussion. Towards the end of the lesson, I bore testimony to her the President Monson is truly a prophet of God. "How do you know that?" she immediately asked. It was a good experience for me to have to answer that question. I thought about it for a moment and then told her that I knew for several reasons. First, I knew because I had prayed about it and received confirmation through the Holy Ghost that President Monson is truly a prophet of God. Second, I know he is a prophet because I know that the Book of Mormon is true and from God. I told her that, that is why we emphasize the Book of Mormon so much--because it really is the keystone to our religion. If we know the Book of Mormon is from God, then we know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. And if Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, then we have a living prophet on the Earth today. It is such a blessing to have the opportunity to share my testimony and really think about how I have come to believe the things I do.
 
8. At church on Sunday, I turned around to see Kaylie Dreyer sitting a few rows behind me! We were both so excited and surprised! It turns out she was there with her sister-in-law who was in town and thinking about moving to the area, so they were there checking out the ward. I had an investigator (Nikki) with me, so I couldn't rush over her right after sacrament meeting, but after I took Nikki to Sunday school I went out in the hall and found her. She had her baby with her, and he is getting so big! It felt SO WEIRD to have someone call me by my first name. Oh, it was so good to see her though! She gave me a big hug and we took I picture. We only got to talk for a minute, but it was so fun to see a familiar face!
 
9. We tracted into a fabulous old couple a few weeks ago, and we went back to teach them this week. They are SO sweet! The lady is from England and has a fabulous accent. They are very receptive, and it is such a joy to teach them. When we got there, the man opened the door and said to his wife, "Honey, our three angels are here!" They are wonderful! When we left they gave us a HUGE Costco tin of cookies to take home for Thanksgiving.
 
10. One more Popo story: She has two huge fish tanks at her house with lots of fish, and Sis. Bennett and I always like to feed the fish when we go to visit her. So this week she had some new food, and she said that we needed to hold it a little above the water, and the fish would jump up and get it. So I did. I had the OPEN can of fish food in one hand and held my hand over the tank with the other hand. Sure enough, the fish jumped up to eat the food, and it scared me so bad I jumped about a foot in the air and screamed. The fish food went flying like confetti. Popo thought it was SO funny.
 
Well, everything is going well. I miss you and love you SO much. Please write me! (BEN!) I can't believe we're not going to be together for Thanksgiving. Take lots of pictures and send them to me! I want more pictures of Leila too! Please :) Thank you for being the best family in the world!
 
Love you forever,
Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment