Thursday, October 7, 2010

Jordan: 10/6/10

My Wonderful Family,

How are you? Hope your week is going great. I miss you so much. Yesterday was a really hard day. My poor companion has a stye in her eye, so my roommate Hermana Funch and I went to C.V.S. yesterday morning to get her some medicine. We walked into C.V.S., and I just started bawling. I don’t don’t even know what triggered it; I just miss my family! I ache for you. I miss talking to Dad about life, about decisions, feelings, and the Gospel. I miss hugging Mom, talking with her about everything, and running errands. I miss talking with Jake about friends, school, and our futures, and just hanging out together. I miss watching shows with Benji late at night, laughing at stupid things together and helping him with his homework. I miss Josh’s cute, embarrassed smile. I miss him asking me how my day went and sincerely caring to know my reply. I miss holding my Tara Sue, having her sit on my lap. I miss doing her hair, painting her nails, sharing a room, doing projects, talking and laughing about everything, and just having fun doing whatever we’re doing. I miss Danny’s sweet, sincere compliments and good hugs. I miss his stories and his contagious laugh. I just miss you! Wow, it hurts. It is difficult to be away from those you love so very much. As much as I love being a missionary and am eternally grateful for the opportunity to serve and give back just a tiny bit for all the incredible many things I’ve been given, it’s still hard and many, many times a day I just want to give up and go home. But I will not. I am here for the long haul. I will serve a full and honorable mission no matter how hard it is because I know this Gospel is true and that it is the only way we can fully prepare to return to live with our Heavenly Father and be sealed to our families forever. Who am I to keep that message to myself? That is why I am here, and I pray I will help as many people as I can to accept this glad message and reap the magnificent, eternal blessings of the restored gospel in their lives.

I can’t believe this transfer is almost over. Only a week left. Crazy! Part of me feels like it’s been a long time, but mostly it’s gone by fast. I really, really hope to stay in the Crystal City area. I don’t want to leave. I’m scared for change, and I love the wards I’m serving in. But one thing I’m really learning and trying to work on is embracing the experience along the way—even if it’s hard. Because life is about the experiences. It’s about joy. And most importantly, it’s about preparing to live with our Heavenly Father again someday. Greg sent me a letter last week and gave me some great advice. He said to swat doubts and discouragement and fears away like flies. Don’t dwell on them too much. Just be like, “Hey, there’s a doubt. Now I’m going to move on.” I’ve been trying to think more like that, and it’s helping me to relax and enjoy a little more. I am so grateful for a loving, caring family who is so wise and supports me in all that I do. Today we met with a recent convert (who’s new to our ward) named Joanna. Joanna is recovering from stomach cancer and really wants to get more involved in the church. She was put in a children’s home at the age of 12 and doesn’t have any family. It broke my heart to talk to her, but there she was smiling brightly and excitedly telling us about the culinary arts school she just started attending. This is so pessimistic and selfish, but when I meet someone like Joanna—someone who’s really had a hard life—I automatically think of myself and feel a lot of concern and fear for my future. Because if life’s been so hard for her, then certainly it’s got to be hard for me too. It makes me wonder why I’ve been so blessed with such a large, loving, supportive family when people like Joanna have no one and no where to call home. It breaks my heart and makes me uneasy.

On Saturday morning, Sister Bennett and I drove up to Bethesda with Sister Albright because Sis. Bennett has a dear family friend in NIH with cancer. It was an interesting experience. NIH felt a very somber place to me. I thought a lot about Nana and Grandpa. It made me really sad and uneasy to be there. It made me miss Grandpa and Nana and all of you. It made me sad to see those who were there suffering and fighting for their lives. But the upside is I got to talk with Sister Albright while Sister Bennett talked with her friend. I love Sister Albright so much. I wish I could see her every day. She is wonderful to talk to and a good “substitute mom” for me right now. She just makes me feel good.

As you all know, this week was General Conference! It was so wonderful. We watched it at the Stake Center with all the missionaries from our zone and even got to go out to lunch at Chilis on Saturday between sessions. That was a special treat! I feel like I’ve always appreciated and enjoyed General Conference, but it is a completely different experience as a missionary. I really soaked it all in and cried when it ended. I took 20+ pages of notes. It was amazing. Here are some of the things I really loved from Conference:

President Uchtdorf:
“Slow down a little and steady the course when facing adversity.”
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” –Leonardo Da Vinci
“Strength comes from being settled on a sure foundation of truth and light—the path leads to light, gladness, and peace—always.”

Br. Edgley:
“Choose faith. Faith is a choice; it takes work; it does not fall as the dews from Heaven—choose faith over fear, doubt, the unknown, and pessimism.”

Elder Andersen:
“In our weakened moments, the adversary seeks to steal our spiritual progression.”

President Eyring:
“A lack of trust in God brings sadness.”

Elder Jensen:
“The Book of Mormon is saturated by the spirit of the Lord.”

President Monson:
“To live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch Heaven.”

Elder Perry:
“You have a great responsibility to declare the Gospel to the world!”

Well, I am out of time. I love you all so very much Please write me! And thank you to those who have written! It helps me SO much to come home to letters at the end of a hard day. This is the true and living Gospel, and I am so grateful to have the opportunity to share that message with the people of Virginia. Thank you for your constant love and support. I pray for you and think of you always.

Love you forever,

Jordan

P.S. It’s been getting cold here! If you could send my winter clothes soon, that would be great! Just send what you think is necessary; I know it’s a lot of stuff!

P.P.S. I have started collecting acorns when we tract. J I am going to save them and then find a cute jar when I get home to put them in, so I have a little piece of Virginia with me.

P.P.P.S. Monday is my two month mark! Wahoo! 78 days until Christmas, and we get to talk on the phone!

P.P.P.P.S. Please send me the tape recorder and my partriarchal blessing! :)

P.P.P.P.P.S. I LOVE YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment