Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Jordan: 10/13/10

Dear Mom, Dad, Jake, Benj, Josh, Tara, and Danny Bear,

How are you? I miss you so much! Sorry I say that at the beginning of every letter; I don’t say it lightly. I miss you so much. This week has been really hard. I’m not sure why because missionary work wise it was an incredible week, which I will tell you more about in a minute, but personally it has been really hard. Yesterday, I just totally lost it and couldn’t stop crying. It’s the first time I’ve done that since I’ve been here. I felt like I had completely reverted back to my M.T.C. self. I felt awful. I cried so hard that I had a terrible headache, and I was so embarrassed. I felt so ashamed that I was still so sad and missing my family so much. Sister Bennett finally convinced me to call Sister Albright because I just really needed to talk to a mom since I couldn’t talk to my mom. I was scared and thought Sister Albright would think I was whiney and wimpy for calling, but she was so loving and helped me so much. She told Sister Bennett and me to come right over to the mission home and help her make cookies for transfer meeting. Then she took us to dinner, gave us each a big hug, and we went back to work. It made me feel so much better. She talked to me about how normal and ok it is to struggle as a missionary. She said she wished she could give me a pill and make it all better but for me just to know that she is always there for me. I am so grateful to have President and Sister Albright. They are so loving and not judgmental. They just try to help in any way that they can.

Speaking of transfers, I think there was some confusion in my last email. I talked about exchanges (which just last 24 hours), but I have still been with my trainer Sister Bennett. This transfer (my 1st transfer) ends this week. Transfer meeting is tomorrow. Sister Bennett and I just found out that we’ll both be staying in this area together for another transfer! We are so excited. I feel so relieved. Sister Bennett and I have had our ups and downs, but I feel comfort knowing at least that I know what I’m getting into being with the same companion and the same area. And Sister Bennett has a great sense of humor, so that helps me a lot. (Just FYI, there are 12 transfers in a mission for sisters, so I’m 1 down and 11 to go!) Since it’s the end of a transfer, that means I’ll be sending you a package with pictures today! So be watching for it J I’m excited for you to get to see where I am, what I’ve been doing, and who I’ve been with. I think it will make us feel more connected. Please send me more pictures of you and what you’ve been doing!

On Monday, I celebrated my two-month mark. We went to the same yogurt place, and it was so yummy. In some ways it seems like it’s been a really long time since I’ve been here, but other times I feel like I just got here and I can’t believe the transfer’s already over. Time is just weird as a missionary, and in general I suppose. One thing I really struggle with is that I feel my emotions are so up and down—it’s like being on a roller coaster all the time, which wears you out! I’m happy, I’m homesick, I’m sad, I’m scared, I’m excited, and then I’m homesick again—all within a couple of hours. It’s exhausting! But missionary work is very rewarding, especially when you get to see someone enter the waters of baptism!

This week I got to experience my first two baptisms on my mission! The first was Cassandra, who was so wonderfully prepared and excited to be baptized. The ward really reached out and supported her. She was so happy. I have some pictures that I’m sending you of the day. The second baptism was unexpected. It was a little boy named Joseph whose dad was baptized last year. We’ve been teaching Joseph, and he really wanted to get baptized, but his mom didn’t approve. We prepared him for baptism a few weeks ago and then it fell through due to his mom’s feelings. But on Saturday, his dad called and said he had, had a dream and really felt like Joseph needed to get baptized that day. He asked me if we could make it happen. I said I would have to get back to him and after calling Bishop, President Albright, and talking with Sister Bennett, we made it happen! So we had two baptisms! One at 5:00 and another at 6:00. It was an incredible day.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a missionary. It is incredible to be even a small part of this great work. I know that this is where I am supposed to be, even if it’s hard. I am plugging along, trying my best to do everything I am supposed to be doing and praying constantly for the Lord’s help. That’s all we can really do sometimes isn’t it? It reminds me of the scripture I chose for my missionary plaque: “Let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power, and then may we stand still; with the utmost of assurance; to see the salvation of God and for His arm to be revealed.” That’s what I’m trying to do right now, and I know the Lord is blessing me for my efforts.

One thing I’ve been struggling with is knowing how to let my companion help me. I feel so homesick and sad sometimes, a lot of the time, but I don’t know how to express this well to Sister Bennett and to let her help me. I know that this is frustrating to her because she really does want to help. I am grateful to have another transfer together because we have been having great success. Hopefully, I can also learn how to be a better companion. Any suggestions?

I am so grateful for your love and support. Please write me! All I’m going to do today is write letters so that I can get all caught up. Please write me back! I miss you!

Love you forever,
Jordan

P.S. Be watching for the package!!!
P.P.S. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.P.P.S. You are the best family in the entire world J

No comments:

Post a Comment